Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Starting Solids and First Crush

My sister -in-law Juli gave me this book as part of the baby shower gift, and I have to admit, I've been counting the months and days until I could finally start making my own baby food.


In the months before we could introduce solid food, I used to read this recipe book to Kai, sort of like giving him a preview of the culinary excitement that lay ahead. Kai loved the colorful pictures of the food: the orange carrots, the soft yellow apples and pears, the green spinach, and later, the pink salmon, etc. Kai always got very excited and he would babble and smack the pictures of the food.

A few weeks ago, we were reading the recipes again, and something else other than the food caught Kai's eyes.


Kai went from babbling to cooing, and instead of smacking her, his hand would stay on her face (kind of like caressing her, but of course he's not). At first I thought it was the fact that it's a picture of another baby that Kai was interested in, so I showed him the pictures of other babies in this book. Nope! He went right back to babbling and smacking with all the other babies in the book (who happened to all be boys also). But when we turned back to her, he quieted down and cooed at her.

So we dubbed her "Kai's girlfriend". She's a blond in pink and she's a cover girl (what a surprise)! But if you tease or ask him about her, he'll totally play dumb (like most boys...).

Our attempt to start solids went without a hitch. I mix carrots with rice cereal and breast milk to give it a more creamy texture, and Kai seems to like it that way. Daddy is more excited about the cross bone and skull carrot cubes.


Maybe Kai can get on the cover of a baby food recipe book also? Well, mommy should've tried to snap one with a smile.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is just too cute for words! Love the pics - of Kai AND his girlfriend. ;)

The Absence of Alternatives said...

Atta boy! LOL

Reading cookbook. What a great idea. You are right: colorful pictures. What's not to like? Esp. if the cookbook comes with covergirls like that. ;-) And srly dude? You made those carrots?! Wow. Impressed.

nuage said...

AA,
you were impressed 'cause I steamed and purred some carrots? Wait until you see the spaghetti and meatball I made for dinner the night we took the pictures of Kai in a pot. Not to brag or anything (okay, maybe just a little bit of bragging), I made everything, except the doodles, from scratch.

Anonymous said...

Kate,
Hahaha! You SOOO have mommy brain! You "purred" the carrots and didn't make the "doodles". (I'm standing her laughing to myself!) It sounds like you're talking to KaiKai instead of a grown up friend :o)
Debbie and I were both just as excited to start Maggie and Jack on solids too! I think I actually started Maggie at 5 months, when I had waited until Natalie was about 6 or 7 months! Annabel Karmel made it sound, and made me realize the fact, that it really was so easy. I also loved the way she described the extra boost that it would give your baby to be eating "real foods" from the beginning and how that might encourage them to be more adventurous eaters as they grow. I can already see a HUGE difference in the way the girls eat. Maggie will at least try EVERYTHING and she likes almost everything she tries. She keeps spitting out browned beef though, but sometimes eats it in tacos.
And who can resist Kai's gorgeous girlfriend?? (SO CUTE!) The photos were probably the biggest thing that drew me to the book. I LOVE light and bright and airy!!
Keep up the good work, momma!!

nuage said...

I have YOU to thank, Juli. Forget about the numerous benefits of homemade baby food; I'm having so much fun making it (now I want more cool ice trays).