Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Sshhhhhhh.... He's Asleep

It started a few days ago (during the CNY holidays to be exact), but I haven't been able to leave Kai.... wait! let me rephrase that. Kai hasn't been able to be alone in a room for even a second. He never used to cry, but now he breaks into tears as soon as I leave the room. That's why I haven't updated my blog for this long. I simply do not have time.

(He just fell asleep on me, so I'm now writing this quick post with only my left hand)

Come to think of it, Kai cries a lot more often now (what's with that anyway?) He cries every time his mom tells him that it's time to sleep... before every nap and the grand finale is when he goes to bed at night. He now wants to play ALL. THE. TIME, and he'd get so caught up in playing that he refuses to acknowledge how he is already at the point of sheer exhaustion. Then he cries out of frustration ('cause, you know, he wants to play but is too tired to play), rubs his eyes so hard as if he's gonna gouge them out, throws his arms around, smacks anything (=mommy's hands, face, or boobs) that he comes in contact with, and 10 to 30 minutes later (the more tired he is, the longer it takes), he finally surrenders and lets his body take over.

What I've been saying to Kai A LOT recently is: Look at you. You're soooooooo tired. Why don't you just settle down and go to sleep? Every time I say that, I think of what Bill Sr. and Donna told me about my husband Bill as a little boy, about how he wouldn't nap and all that...

Last night, I woke up when Bill came to bed. Just when I was drifting back to sleep, I heard a big sigh.
K (wasn't quite sure if I said these words in my dream or in real life): "What's wrong?"
B: "Oh man... Why I always do this?"
K (deciding whether to ask the question 'cause that would mean that I had to keep myself awake to listen to the answer... but I asked anyway): "Do what?"
B: "I get so caught up in whatever I'm doing, and I get all wired. Like just now when I was working. I knew I should stop and go to bed, but I got too caught up in it. I got a lot done, but it's 3 o'clock now, ....."
K: "It's THREE now?"
B: "... But my brain's too wired to sleep. I know I'm gonna pay for it tomorrow. Sigh~~"

Look at you. You're soooooooo tired. Why don't you just settle down and go to sleep? I now recall thinking that when I sometimes wake up to get some water and see Bill still working away on the kitchen table past midnight.

Anyway, I've got two work-in-progress posts that I have to get done. Check back in a few days. Oh crap! The boy's up (already?)!

2 comments:

The Absence of Alternatives said...

That's the thing that gets us: when you are too tired, you actually get hyper. I remember the days when I was so worried about not being able to fall asleep that I couldn't fall asleep! *sigh* It happens now on the nights when I have a 6am flight to catch. I hope more sleep in long duration is coming your way mama!

Pop said...

I think there's a stage when little ones think going to bed is some type of permanent thing and that scares them... at least that's what was said in our day?

Also, don't know if this is even an issue but little ones need relatively strict routines and expectations to live by: meal times, play time, bath time, nap time, bed time, etc. They may object now and then but the sameness is somehow comforting and assuring to them at the same time. We are the parents and they are the children and children obey their parents: a positional thing especially for the younger ones.

Maybe a bit old school but it worked for us over the long haul. Just look how good your husband turned out!