Monday, November 26, 2012

Friends For Life

Lately this has become a common scene in our house: I'd be in the kitchen or the bathroom, Bill'd be in the bathroom or the kitchen or down in the basement, and our kids would be out of our sight but in the same room with each other. Then Kai would do something or make a noise, and both would start gaffawing!! Kai seems to know instinctually how to crack his sister up, and Wei just thinks her big brother is the funniest in the world. However, when I get the camera and run to capture what was going on, the two kids behave as if nothing has happened. They both move on to doing their own thing. It's as if they have made a pact to tease mom to no end.  

"Urgh! Why do they only do that when we're not around?" I grunted with frustration.

 

"It's THEIR thing," Bill explained. "You do realize that they're gonna have a relationship with each other that is completely independent from what they have with us, right?"

 

No. That never crossed my mind! Don't forget: I'm an only child. I don't know what it's like to have a relationship with someone who shares DNA with me, who has almost the same childhood experiences as mine, who knows my parents' merits and flaws as well as I do, and who, no matter what happens, will always be my family.

 

That's some powerful stuff, and I'm so happy that my kids have each other. If Bill and I do things right, they will not just be siblings but each other's friend for life.

 

I want that for them.

No comments: