Friday, December 28, 2012

Can I See

"Mommy, can I see your penis?" the little boy stood naked with his one-piece dinosaur PJs at his ankles.

"I don't have one." I wrapped a diaper on him. In retrospect, I handled it very matter-of-factly. I'm kind of proud of myself right now.

"Huh?" not sure if he didn't hear me cause I was sort of talking to his feet as I wrapped the diaper on or he was surprised by what I said.

"I don't have a penis" hearing myself say the complete sentence made me want to laugh, but I kept my cool. "Only boys have penises."

"Oh! Does daddy have one?"

"Yes, he does."

Kai seemed satisfied with my answer. He grabbed a car from the table and started driving it on my head as I tried to help him put one arm in a sleeve.

"Can I see what you have there then, mommy?"

Just like that. My three-year-old son asked to see my private parts, and he said it in a way as if such requests could not be more natural.

"Mommy has a vagina." In case you haven't noticed, I don't believe in using nicknames or cute names for private parts when talking with children. "Boys have penises; girls have vaginas." The amount of time spent offering this explanation was the same as the amount of time it took to zip up his PJs all the way up.

"Can I see?" he asked with such innocence.

I thought about it for a second but decided it would've been weird if I just stood up and revealed myself in the middle of the living room... with a dirty diaper in my hand and a baby crawling on the floor. "Mmmm... Maybe not tonight 'cause we gotta get ready for bed. Maybe next time when mommy's in the shower, okay?"

And that concluded our very first mother-son talk about male & female sex organs.

No comments: