Thursday, December 27, 2012

Christmas 2012

I sometimes wonder if it's because Bill and I are the go-big-or-go-home type of people who make decisions that tend to complicate our lives, or the universe is toying with us.  

This Christmas was unusual in so many ways. We decided not to go down to Portland like we've been doing in the last two years because of financial uncertainties and lack of security due to the break-in last summer (Once bitten, twice shy, I suppose). Also, my mom had planned to come back in December so she would have enough time to get over jet lag and reacquaint with Wei before I go back to work on the second day of the new year, and it just so happened that the only flight she could find was for Christmas Eve. And... (yes, the list goes on), after almost a year of searching, we finally found a cheaper house with a better layout in the same neighbourhood. We'll be packing and moving right after Christmas!! We hope to finish everything and bid this craphole good riddance before ringing in the new year (Okay, this house isn't all bad. For one, it was our baby girl's first home).

 

"Do we have enough room in the freezer for a turkey?" Bill called from Costco. "Wait! Are we doing a turkey?" he needed confirmation. I had only made a turkey once in my life, and it was more than 10 years ago. There were 8 of us (a few more trickled in later). Making sure the turkey was cooked through was my only job that day because everyone else brought a dish. But do 3 adults and a 3-year-old need a turkey? Are there turkeys that small to feed so few people? Can't we just get a whole chicken and call it a turkey dinner? "We don't have to do what other people do," Bill comforted. "We can start our own Christmas traditions."

 

WHAT, though?

 

This is one of those times that I'm so glad I take pictures of everything at every event. I went back to the pictures of previous Christmas parties we held at our place in Taiwan, and Voila! Without being fully aware of it, we had in fact started a Christmas dinner tradition: stuffed pork tenderloin! I made it two years in a row in 2008 and 2009 in Taipei.

 

So here's the menu of our Christmas dinner this year:

 

Baked Coconut Shrimp with curry citrus sauce

Mushroom stuffed pork tenderloins

Roasted Brussels sprouts with pomegranate and walnuts

Coconut macorons

 

(recipes from The Food Network website)

 

Everything except the coconut macorons turned out great, but OMG were my legs and back sore afterwards?! I spent three and a half hours in the kitchen. At one point, i said to my mom, "This is similar, if not worse, than the Chinese New Year's feast!" My mom chuckled, "No kidding!"

 

Sore legs and back aside, it was totally worth it. Those coconut shrimp literally took no time to make (well, not counting the time spent on peeling, deveining, and butterflying the shrimp). The roasted Brussels sprouts dish from Bobby Flay was delightful, and I learned how to seed a pomegranate and make pomegranate molasses from scratch! The tenderloins were full of flavours. Instead of macorons, however, I ended up with chewy coconut cookies (still edible though). Should've read the reviews before going with the recipe... Apparently the consistency just wasn't right with the given measurements. Lesson learned.

 

As expected, the kids had a great time opening presents and playing with their new toys. Kai got about 10 new books, 5 new cars, puzzles, LEGOs, and a remote-controlled Lightning McQueen (aunt Vivian struck gold). Wei got a couple of books, a few pairs of pants and shirts, a bath toy boat, a doggy that plays lalluby and white noise, and... wait for it... a singing Hello Kitty (again, from aunt Vivian). I remember, during pregnancy, joking with Lisa about how I'd do my best to keep the Kitty away from Wei. Got blind sided by my own cousin, and there she is... The Kitty's in da house before my baby's even one! Touché!

 

I'd say Christmas 2012 was a success. It was nice and intimate, but I have to admit, I kind of missed the chaos of the Martins' Christmas with 30-something people (the number is still growing) all under one roof where unwrapping gifts has to be done systematically from the youngest and moves its way up. Thank goodness my youngest sister-in-law posted a video clip of the party. As I watched fondly with a huge grin on my face late last night, I was also craving for those dangerously addictive peanut butter balls.

 

Sigh (stomach growling)~~~

 

 

No comments: