Saturday, February 23, 2013

Mira, Kai

My leftover left ovary has been through a lot (I've been thinking about my leftover left ovary a lot these days as Wei turned a year old and my next appointment with the gynecology-oncologist at BC Cancer Agency approaches)!



First off, she escaped her fate of being removed from my body and becoming part of medical waste along with her counterpart back on that November day in 2006 because Dr. Liu respected my wishes to have my own children after the whole cancer thing was done. It didn't seem that unusual at that time, but every medical professional (in Vancouver) who has learnt about this part of my medical history was all shocked by the fact that I still have an ovary. "You're an interesting and unique case." the genetic counsellor at the BC Hereditary Cancer Research Program told me, "Had you been diagnosed with ovarian cancer here, doctors would've removed both ovaries and Fallopian tubes."

 

Boy, am I happy I was in Taiwan then.

 

Three years after the initial surgery to remove the cancerous ovary, my left ovary was scheduled to be removed on September 11th, 2009, immediately after the doctor finished the C-section. It was a part of my birth plan all along until the night before the C-section. The anesthesiologist came in to explain the procedures. First the epidural for the C-section part. Then they would put me under for the removal of the left ovary and Fallopian tube. Complications may involve blahblahblahblahblah. I remember having this uncomfortable gut feeling as he was going over the list of possible complications, and I felt scared and uncertain after he left. Mind you, I had had two laparotomy surgeries prior to this, so let's just say I was a seasoned surgical patient. I had come out of major surgeries twice. I knew what to expect. For some reason, however, that night I just could not ignore that uncomfortable feeling I had with the decision to remove the left ovary after the C-section. Funny thing is, Bill, who went through two major surgeries with me on the other side of the OR, was also uncomfortable with that decision. "I don't wanna do it." I remember admitting to Bill. "The possible complications sounded scary because... I wasn't pregnant when I had the two surgeries before. Which means my condition was different. This time they'll have to put me under right after they take out the baby, but my body will still be in 'the pregnant state'. It won't be the same as before. I don't wanna do it." We asked the nurse to page Dr. Liu, who, again, respected our decision.


We had the C-section and agreed to discuss the fate of my left ovary once I finished breastfeeding.

 

We moved to Vancouver a year later... with the left ovary still intact. And 8 months after returning to Vancouver, we found out we were pregnant again.

 

I can't stop thinking how different our life would be if my left ovary had been removed when it was supposed to and how grateful and lucky I feel that it wasn't. We have two wonderful and beautiful children because of it.

 

Even though we have no intention to have more children, I know it will nonetheless be an emotional experience if the team at BC Cancer Agency decides it's best to remove the left ovary (and Fallopian tube) because of what it had brought us. I had very little hope that it would be possible for me to have even just one kid after what I went through, yet here we are, celebrating my second child's first birthday.

 

I am reminded once again that these kids are truly miracles.

 

No comments: