Friday, March 1, 2013

Siblings

I'm often in awe when I observe the interaction between my children. Kai would snatch toys out of his baby sister's hands, push her down on purpose while she's learning to stand on her own, smack the side of her head with a book, squeeze her cheeks together and rub them in opposite directions, or kick her just 'cause he feels like kicking her. I admit. It's very hard for me to remember that he "hurts" (that's too serious of a word) his sister simply because he's a typical 3-year-old, not because he's facetious or evil. As an only child, I was never "bugged" when I was little, so I have very little tolerance for any physical rough play.

And then there was today.

I took both kids to the family doctor's this afternoon. Wei was getting her 1-year-old checkup and shots, and Kai was there to follow up on the results from the allergist's office. Poor little girl had to get 4 immunization shots, 2 of which were quite painful, according to our GP. Prior to the shots, Kai was busy weaving in between the doctor and his sister asking questions and helping the doctor (getting the tape measure, opening/closing drawers, turning the lights on/off, etc). He was happy being "a big boy" who was very capable and helpful. As soon as the shots were prepared and lined neatly on a tray, however, Kai got quiet and climbed up on the chair next to mine. Wei started wailing after the first shot went in, and she got angrier and louder with each additional shot. When it was finally over, her face was completely red and she was... shouting and crying. I offered her a boob, but she saw right through me. She did not want anything in her mouth. She wanted the whole world to hear how upset she was.

The doctor and I tried to talk about the plan for Kai's breathing problem while Wei was letting her frustration out. We very quickly realized it was next to impossible for us to hear each other. I shook my head and gave her a helpless smile. Just when we were about to give up, Kai wrapped his arm around Wei, held her in and said, "Weiwei, you're okay." Like magic, Wei's howling subsided to sobbing, and she babbled a few words to her brother, who then put his cheek on her cheek. "You're okay, Wei. I'm here." Kai reassured his baby sister, who, by now, had completely stopped crying.

"I'm here"?????? Where did he learn to say that in a situation like this?

"Amazing, isn't it?" our family doctor smiled at me. "They're going to have a relationship totally separate from what they have with you, and it's going to carry both of them through the rest of their lives." That's something completely alien to me. I don't have that other person in my life.

After the visit, the doctor let both kids choose a couple of stickers to take home. Kai chose a Dora one and Wei grabbed a Tinkerbell and a Superman.

"I want that!" Kai snatched Superman out of Wei's hand and she immediately started crying.

"Kai, give the sticker back to Wei."

"No!" the loving big brother turned into a little turd.

Life's back to normal.

 

No comments: